Sunday, September 19, 2010

We got the beets!

No bentos this week because I went home so that my family and I could go to the Hope Watermelon Festival.

Mom, Kelly, and I got up at 4:30 on Saturday to make the long drive to Hope, Arkansas in time for the Watermelon 5k.  I ran it in 33min almost exactly and, while not fast by runners' standards, is kind of a personal best for me.

Unfortunately, Mom's blood sugar dropped too much from the long car ride and the 5k which brought on a migraine and we had to leave after only being there about an hour.  Because of this I don't have any pictures of the event. Though Mom was feeling bad, we did stop quickly at Burge's on the way back to get some sliced turkey and a turkey melt sandwich for me and Kelly.



And, my grandma gave me her recipe for sweet pickled beets this weekend, so that was my project after returning home this morning. 


If you like this kind of thing or know somebody who does, they're really easy to make:

Ingredients:

-3 cans of plain beets
-1 cup sugar
-1 cup vinegar
- whole Allspice

1. Pack beets into jars with a few pieces of whole allspice.
2. Bring vinegar and sugar to a boil.
3. When it boils, it's ready.  Just pour the syrup over the beets and put the lids on. 
They'll be ready to enjoy in a few days.


When I made these, I followed sterile jar technique so that I could keep them for a while.  However, my Grandma just does it when she needs a new jar and keeps in in the fridge, so either way works.

No comments:

Post a Comment