Sunday, September 19, 2010

One Man's Egg is Another Man's Treasure




Today's bento is a little treasure bag made of thin omelet.  Inside?  Delicious curry chicken and rice leftover from my favorite Chinese Restaurant.  It's a little reminiscent of Japanese omu-raisu (omelet rice) but with a little less ketchup.

Also, as a switch from regular short-grain rice, this week I've got Red Quinoa.  I don't like the texture quite as much as rice, but what it lacks in fluffy texture it makes up for in nutrition.  With ~12g of protein per ~200 calorie serving, this is like a protein disguised as a carb! Usually I just have it plain, but being adventurous, I stir fried this with a little Pam and Soy Sauce.  Not to mention the cute sweet potato and squash cut outs and the sweet pickled beets from last week that make a flavorful appearance on my salad.




Additionally, I've been meaning to try out recipes from "Honnori no Wafuu no Okashi," a book I bought from a Japanese bookstore in L.A. that roughly translates to "slightly Japanese sweets," I believe. 

I tried out the Kintoki Imo no Chakin (Kintoki Sweet Potato in a tea towel?) today because the ingredients were readily available: Sweet Potato, Sugar, and Honey.  Mine aren't the same color as the picture because Kintoki sweet potatoes are golden, while mine are average American supermarket variety.  Anyway, I think I got them right, but maybe not!  Apparently you're supposed to use the tea towel to shape them, but I used Saran Wrap.  That's where the "tea towel" part comes in.

And I wonder if the word "okashi," or "kashi" for us less sophisticated ladies, which means "sweets," is where the word for the brand that we know and love for organic cereals, crackers, and granola bars originated? Nazo nazo da ne...

No comments:

Post a Comment