Sunday, September 19, 2010

#2: 20,000 leagues under the bento


I've noticed that one of the problems I have with making bentos is that I want to stuff the entire contents of my refrigerator into my little owl box.  While that would make lunch a fabulous lunch to rival Man v. Food, I don't think I have enough rubber bands to hold the lid on.

So, after narrowing down what I could, I proudly present to you Bento Number 2, affectionately known as 20 000 leagues under the sea/octopus bento. 


Using turkey hot dogs I somewhat skillfully fashioned a couple of little octopus characters. This is a pretty typical bento addition in Japan; mine didn't turn out quite how I envisioned them, but I think they turned out pretty cute anyway. Tamagoyaki makes an encore appearance this week and the vegetables feature gobo, lotus root, taro, and mushrooms, courtesy of our local Asian foods store.  I felt so adventurous buying and preparing them!



I'd also like to take some time to highlight what I consider to be the ingredient of the week: Enoki mushrooms!  I just think these little guys are so precious (not to mention delicious.

Tell me they don't look like something straight out of a Miyazaki film :)



The recipes I used for the vegetables and instructions for an octopus were found in this book; the pictures are a lot of fun even if you aren't making a bento yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment