Sunday, September 19, 2010

Beautiful Sunday




As promised, I'm presenting here last week's canning job.  Chocolate banana Jam, recipe from HappyHomeBaking.  It doesn't have the same visual appeal as fruit jams, but it's chocolate.  And bananas, which is why I kind of decided to go with the yellow and brown theme in the photograph.  My point and shoot is so dependent on natural light for good shots that it's hard to get good variety, so I just decided to have a lot of fun playing with the colors here.  Oh and I ate the chocolate in the photo as soon as I finished the shots.  Win-win :)




Because a couple of people were so pleased with these little octopus guys before (and because I felt I didn't do them justice the first time) I decided to try again, this time with takoyaki.  The takoyakis  are supposed to have octopus (tako) in them, but mine have turkey hot dog instead because I was just a little too lazy to fuss with the real thing. :) I have trouble turning them and getting them to become round, but in Japan they do it so fast!



Also, I managed to make some manjuu thanks to my Japanese teacher, who showed me how one day before my lessons.  These are just simple and filled with red bean paste, but I think they turned out pretty well!  I had quite a time making the bean paste; I thought I turned off the burner but I hadn't and found my apartment filled with burned-sugar smell (you know the one that reminds you of camping and roasting marshmallows?).  However, I was also trying to make some amanatto, which I needed for a recipe  I want to try, and those accidentally cooked to long and turned soupy.  The ingredients for both tsubuan paste and amanatto are the same, so I just stirred some of the soupy stuff into the dried up stuff and got a good consistency.  Maybe since it made so much, I'll try them with mochi next time!!



Mata raishu!

No comments:

Post a Comment