Sunday, September 19, 2010

#3: 鬼ぎり (お握り!)


My third bento, which I'm calling "Onigiri," or "rice ball" bento.  Yes, you say, those are obviously onigiri.  However! Not only have I attempted making them; I have also attempted my first pun in Japanese! 

In the title of this post, in the the first word, "鬼ぎり," the first character can be read "oni" and means "demon" or "ogre."



A good look at the faces on these guys should tell you all you need to know about the logic behind my use of that character.

The second word in parentheses, お握り, is the real word for normal onigiri.



I'm not sure how well a native speaker would take this, but it kept me kind of entertained :)

Also, in other news, I'm apparently attempting to become a domestic goddess by grabbing anything I see and cramming it into jars. 


Last week's project was spiced peach preserves.  I added a little too much cinnamon, so they are almost like those red hots candies that break everyone's teeth, but not bad for my first solo attempt. 



I think the color is so pretty though!

I did some more canning today, but I think I'll save that for next week!

(Now if only I could can onigiri...)

No comments:

Post a Comment